Thursday, January 15, 2009

the adventures of Solo Mom

Single mom work day:

6:00 a.m. -- alarm goes off; take advantage of the sleep timer for 15 minutes longer minus another body next to me kicking my legs to really get up already!

7:00 -- be completely ready to begin the day, Elaina is probably up by now and watching her shows in my bed or asking to put on my jewelry or chap stick

7:15 - 8:00 -- peel my sweet boy from his warm crib, feed both children breakfast, dress kids, Keegan goes outside, warm up truck, make a steamy cup of cappuccino for my travel mug

8:00 -- goal to be out of the house and en route to the babysitter's house

8:30 - 5:00 -- work day, 30 minute commute, pick up kids from babysitter

5:00 - 6:00-- feed Keegan, change out of my work clothes, half-watch children as I try to prepare dinner

6:00 -- MUST eat! Lincoln came equipped with a belly timer which emits a squawking alarm if his belly has not made contact with food at precisely 6 p.m.

6:30 - 7:00 -- clean up dinner table, let kids play, enjoy a 10 minute brain break by checking blogs or facebook for entertainment

7:00 - 8:00 -- bathe kids together (every other night), jammies, dry hair, kids play

8:00 - 8:15 -- read books to Lincoln, gamble on if he will give me kisses before I lay him down or not, he's sometimes fickle and sometimes just wants to be asleep

8:15 - 9:00 -- pull Elaina from her tv show that I asked her to occupy her time while I had quiet time with Lincoln, brush teeth, tinkle time, she picks out 2 books, we read, say prayers, she stalls, asks me to lay with her, I can't refuse, I fall asleep

9:00 -- wake up, if I'm lucky

9:00 - 10:00 -- really clean up the kitchen, pack my lunch for the next day, figure out what's for dinner the following night, sort mail, do laundry in some aspect, clean up toys, maybe make a phone call

10:00 - 11:00 -- my time! read blogs, check e-mail, feel too tired, too uninteresting and too lazy to write a blog entry of my own, go back and hope someone has updated their facebook page or blog, shop for things I clearly don't need but the e-mail said there is a big sale, etc.

11:00 - 12:00 -- some aspect of laundry, get kids clothes and my clothes ready for the next day, let the dog out, clean up my room as Elaina did her own "redecorating" as she occupied herself in there, check on sleeping children, take off make up, curse at gray hairs, curse at the clock which now reads 12:15 and I'm JUST climbing into bed, remind myself to hurry up and sleep because tomorrow is already here and I'm performing the lead role in an encore of the same act, different day.

2 Welcome Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you are kinda my hero after making it through all that in one day. I must say I am impressed. I hope I can do that well when I have kids.

HollyLynne said...

I would've cracked by about 2pm with that schedule . . . you're a hero!