Monday, April 30, 2007

Anxiety What?

From the minute I woke up this morning, I have carried with me a slight tinge of excitement throughout the day just thinking about meeting our son in exactly one week from today.

This morning at 7 a.m. I began to think about what next Monday morning at 7 a.m. will have in store for us. How long a c-section delivery will take. The thoughts and feelings of the birth-mom and her recovery. If I will cry with tears of joy or pass out from emotion/ delivery overload. How I need to remember not to squeeze him as tight as I really want to, knowing that he'll feel all of my love with the same gentle embrace. How I need to remember to share him with Eric and Elaina. Newborn vs. circumcision. (Ow!) Will he like his formula right away? Will he be a good eater? Which outfit should be his coming home clothes? Is my fill-in at work going to be adequately prepared to cover my work for 2 months? Why am I thinking about work? When are which grandparents coming? Do we have any food in the house? Will Elaina accept the fact that he's going to spend the rest of his life with us? What will he look like? How am I ever going to get through one more week of waiting?

Is that sufficient? If not, e-mail me- there's plenty more just rolling off the tip of my tongue at this point.

Do you suppose this is enough to warrant my very first case of heartburn ever and I feel like my chest could cave in any minute and my whole body may just collapse if I don't pop another Tums within the next 2 seconds?

Deep breaths... ooohhh.... ahhh... We're having a son!

We're ready. Just seven extra days to send our thanks to the Lord and pray that anxiety doesn't overcome any one of us. Just keep the Tums in sight.

2 Welcome Comments:

Giselle said...

I cannot even imagine preparing mentally and emotionally and physically for a whole new person in just a few weeks. I think you are holding up remarkably well.

Best wishes...and I can't wait to hear about your new little guy.

Anonymous said...

boy laura, do i know what you're going through--even though it's been almost 20 years, i remember the day we got the call about eddie like it was yesterday. we also had a week to wait because he was born on friday july 1st--no court on week ends --well, that took us to july 4th--no court on july 4th right-- THEN we had to wait the 72 hour legal waiting period to bring him home on the 7th. what a week, but it was well worth every minute we waited. he's still magnificent. i don't think i let him out of my site or arms for the first few days. your in my thoughts and prayers--can't wait to hear about him. lots of love. marianne